Specialist Homelessness Services
Outreach legal service for people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness. Provides advice and assistance on a broad range of legal issues. Operates local advice centres at several hosting agencies across Canberra. Help is also available to clients living in Queanbeyan. All services are free.
Phone: (02) 6218 7995
Who Street Law Helps
Street Law will assist people who are homeless or are at risk of becoming homeless by providing a legal service and by connecting clients with other services. The service is free.
Who is Homeless?
A person is homeless or at risk of homelessness if they do not have adequate access to safe and secure housing. This includes situations where the person’s housing:
- damages, or is likely to damage their health;
- is unsafe;
- fails to provide adequate amenities;
- fails to provide the supports that a home normally affords; or
- is not affordable.
Our lawyers will...
Street Law knows how one problem can lead to another and that early action is important. So our lawyers will:
- help with practical problems
- explain complicated legal issues
- explain how you can access your rights
- help negotiate with landlords, lenders, government services and others
- help to request and prepare for housing reviews, tribunals or court hearings
- put you in touch with other organisations that can help you.
- support you to access other legal services.
Street Law receives recognition of our service
Winners of the National Homelessness Services Achievement Awards for Excellence in the prevention of or early intervention in, homelessness 2013
Winners of the ACTCOSS Little Feet, Big Steps Award 2012.
Phone:1800 STR LAW (1800 787 529)
Office:(02) 6218 7995
Fax:(02) 6257 4801
Post:PO Box 337 Civic Square ACT 2608
Office:Level 1, 21 Barry Drive, TURNER ACT 2612
Email: [email protected]
Quick Facts About The Region
Contact Street Law
Similar Providers Nearby
Disabled access Parking, Ramps
Accessible By Anyone
Access Fee No fee
Age Ranges All ages
Clients must be at risk of homelessness or experiencing homelessness
Homeless, Legal Aid, Legal Information Services, Low Income Earners
Share with QR Code
Canberra Community Law (formerly Welfare Rights and Legal Centre) has been providing legal services to people on low incomes for over 25 years. Canberra Community Law has substantial legal practice experience and expertise in its areas of specialty.Visit CANBERRA COMMUNITY LAW website