Specialist Homelessness Services
Youth Support and Homelessness Service
Youth Support staff (Youth Support Advocate and Court Youth Support Worker) can provide young people up to 20 years of age with information, advice, referral and support and advocacy in particular:
- provide an integrated Youth Court Assist Program (YCAP) at the Brisbane Children’s Court to young people who are homeless or at risk of homelessness and/or who come to the attention of the police and courts
- help young people who are homeless or risk of homelessness with housing support, education and income hassles
- support young people at court (both childrens and high courts, tribunals and hearings), including writing a report for the court where appropriate
- provide outreach support including visiting young people in detention (including transition support to young people exiting detention)
- transitional support, advocacy and practical assistance to young people within, and leaving, the child protection and youth justice systems
- support young people who have been a victim of crime
- undertake intensive personal support
The YSA also runs a living skills program with the centre’s CLE worker “Talk it up” - a peer advocacy program for young people delivered in a variety of settings (including Brisbane Youth Detention Centre).
Youth Bail Accommodation Support Service (YBASS)
YBASS staff work with young people aged 10 – 16 years who have committed or are alleged to have committed an offence. Their priority is young people where accommodation problems mean that they may not be released on bail, including those who have already been remanded in custody at the Brisbane Youth Detention Centre. YBASS assists young people:
- to access safe, secure and appropriate accommodation and maintain that accommodation
- comply with their bail conditions, in particular through accessing services or programs relevant to their needs and involvement in positive activities and engagement with school, training or employment
They can also assist families and carers with whom the young person is living to support the placement.
All services provided are free and confidential.
Quick Facts About The Region
Contact Youth Advocacy Centre
YAC offers free legal services, youth support and family support assistance and services to young people generally 10 to 18 years (inclusive) particularly those who are involved in, or are at risk of involvement in, the youth justice and/or the child protection systems, and/or are homeless or at risk of homelessness and live in or around the greater Brisbane region (Caboolture to Beenleigh, Ipswich across to Redland Bay). We provide more limited support to those under 10 and over 18 years of age; and to young people outside of Brisbane via telephone, website and publications. YAC provides an integrated and holistic service response to young people which is voluntary and confidential. YAC also helps to link young people up with other services in the community that can assist them where appropriate.Visit Youth Advocacy Centre Inc website