Community Information & Referral Services
Council on the Ageing (COTA) Queensland aims to create a more just, fair and caring community. This is demonstrated by our commitment to an equitable and humane community where there is intergenerational interaction, where people are empowered to grow to their fullest capacity to contribute to their communities and have access to appropriate care and support as they age.
Established in 1957 as the Old People’s Welfare Council, COTA Queensland has continued to operate as a community based organisation aimed at improving the quality of life for people as they age. Over the years COTA Queensland has played a key role in helping to establish various group and events including:
- Senior Citizens Clubs
- Meals on Wheels
- Volunteering Queensland
- Seniors Week (originally Old People’s Week)
Our members and stakeholders are individuals aged 50 years and over, and organisations that support people as they age. We work with consumers, self-help and special interest groups as well as federal, state and local government, and non- government organisations to achieve the best outcomes for people as they age.
COTA Queensland provides:
- Policy development and systemic advocacy ensuring the voices of ageing Queenslanders are heard.
- Community education program which enables discussion about healthy ageing and learning practical, simple strategies to age well.
- Information and referral service which directly links appropriate information for individuals to make more informed decisions about their independence, well being and lifestyle choices.
- Value-for money members’ benefits. COTA members receive a wide range of exclusive benefits through the COTA Rewards and Savings Program including insurance designed specifically for over 50s, two-for-one dining, savings on food shopping, electrical, fuel, retail shopping and leisure activities. Members also access a Wine Club and a Travel Club as well as COTA Home Maintenance Services, for small and large jobs around home.
Quick Facts About The Region
Contact COTA Queensland
To advance the rights, interests, and futures of people as we age.Visit COUNCIL ON THE AGEING QUEENSLAND LTD website