Mental Health Services
The Creative Expression Centre for Arts Therapy (CECAT) is a therapeutic creative arts service that utilises a range of creative mediums and processes to assist in the recovery of young people and adults with a primary diagnosis of mental illness. This therapy provides an alternative to talking therapies, with a primary focus of resolving trauma and mood related disorders and the effects this has on a person’s functioning. This approach to therapy benefits those with kinesthetic-tactile and visual learning styles.
CECAT is a free service and accepts both public and private clients.
How long can someone attend CECAT?
Attendance at CECAT is for up to three years and provides up to four sessions a week, dependent on a consumer’s therapy goals. Attendance beyond this time must be negotiated and is based on consumer need. Consumers may be re-referred to CECAT as many times as needed if there is evidence of significant trauma or life events requiring intervention.
Who is eligible?
- Persons with a primary diagnosis of mental illness
- Aged between 16 and 65 years
- Are motivated to change
- Are able to collaborate and cooperate with others
- Have cognitive ability for symbolic thinking
- Have some insight into their behaviour and the impact on others
- Have available practical and emotional support from a mental health professional
- Have a capacity for therapeutic relationships.
Who is not suitable?
- Those with secondary, moderate to severe developmental or pervasive learning disorders, brain injury or other organic disorders
- People with a persistent and severe mental illness requiring long-term support
- Verbally or physically aggressive persons
- People requiring assistance with self-care or mobility, unless an external support person can assist them onsite.
CECAT Services accepts referrals from mental health professionals , such as psychiatrists, social workers, clinical psychologists, occupational therapists, registered nurses and GPs, who case manage their clients.
Note: While the Centre is based at Graylands Health Campus, the Reflections Art Studio (tel: 08 9227 9083) is located at 125 Aberdeen St, Northbridge.