Community Information & Referral Services
The Multicultural Neighbourhood Centre is a not for profit Government funded Neighbourhood Centre which caters specifically for the needs of Culturally and Linguistically Diverse people of all ages and is governed by an annually elected Board of Governance. Our objectives are:
- To direct the services, activities and resources of the Centre to those groups who are the most disadvantaged socially, linguistically, economically, geographically, and because of ethnic/cultural background have the least skills, knowledge and resources.
- To promote social and educational interaction among people of diverse backgrounds by providing a pleasant, informal, non-sectarian, non-political atmosphere at the Centre.
- To liaise and work cooperatively with and assist where possible other organisations whose objectives are similar or complement those of the Centre.
- To develop and maintain networks, services and activities that address the issues and concerns and promote the wellbeing of people of diverse backgrounds in the Newcastle and Lake Macquarie area.
- To assist people of diverse backgrounds to integrate into the community by providing an information, referral and advocacy service.
What We Do?
- provide information / advice
- Provide referrals to other services as necessary
- provide a meeting space for the community groups
- Provide the garden for Multicultural Gardening group
- Provide a playgroup for 0 – 5 years old children and their parents
- Social Groups, i.e. Arts / Crafts and cooking
- Multicultural Services Expo
- Harmony Day, Refugee Week, Youth Week, and other celebrations
Education and Skills Training
- Free English Classes for CALD Background focusing on Conversational skills and pronunciation
- Opportunities for volunteers
Advocacy and support
- support and advocate for community members to ensure they receive the right services and / or refer them to the right service
- Supporting the target group to identify their needs and advocate for them
Multicultural Youth & Family Project
The Multicultural Youth & Family Worker provides activities, information and referral for young people between 12 to 17 years old.
What’s on, where to go, how to access.
Sports, recreation, friendship groups, movie nights.
Arts, cooking, crafts, computers,