General Welfare & Support Services
YMYW assists young, pregnant and parenting women, 25 years and under, along with their children and families. The team incorporates peer and professional support, to assist young pregnant and parenting women in practical ways, allowing them to participate, socially and economically within their community.
At YMYW we celebrate and support young parents! Our service incorporates a peer-mentoring model where our Peer Support Workers are experts on young parenting because they are young parents themselves. They bring knowledge, skills, experience and understanding to the program. Read Hayley’s story.
The YMYW service celebrated its 20th anniversary in 2015.
Who we work with
YMYW is available to young women, 25 years and under, who are pregnant and/or parenting and residing in the Brisbane City Council area. Young women who are pregnant and living in the Mater Mothers' catchment area (Brisbane South) may also be eligible for antenatal care via the the Young Mothers Partnership Program (YMPP).
What we do
- access to specialist antenatal services and midwifery care
- peer-led education
- individualised, planned family support and advocacy services
- a dynamic early childhood education program
- mothers' groups specifically designed for young mothers
- referral to other services providing health, housing, income, legal and relationship advice and support
- school readiness support through the Parents as Teachers (PAT) home visitation program.
Micah Projects adopts a holistic, evidence-based approach across all our programs. We recognise issues related to housing, health, social isolation, employment, education and income are interconnected, and solutions require an integrated approach.
Quick Facts About The Region
Contact Young Mothers for Young Women
To respond to people who experience exclusion, poverty, injustice and social isolation so that they may experience inclusion, economic wellbeing, justice and connection within their community of choice.