General Health Services
Offers a holistic approach to primary health care based on harm minimisation principles and specialises in medical and psychological issues relating to alcohol, tobacco and other drugs.
The Althea Wellness Centre offers health care services to anyone impacted by alcohol, drugs or other addictions, and does not have a GP.
The Centre focuses on providing a complete approach to health care by supporting clients and their families to live healthier lives.
Primary health care services include:
- Diagnosis and treatment of acute health problems
- Chronic disease management and care plans
- Wound management and dressings
- Vein care
- Psychological services
- Health promotion, coaching and support
- Adult health checks
- Quit smoking support
- Dental referral
All services are provided free of charge. We can also assist people to access the low-cost ACT Health Dental service.
The centre is staffed by general practitioners as well as a psychologist and practice nurse. Althea is open 9 am – 5 pm, Monday to Wednesday.
Secondary health care can involve more specialised care and the centre works with other Directions programs as well as with other health agencies to make these services available. They include:
- Counselling and case management
- Support groups
- Arcadia House detoxification, residential and day program
- Needle and syringe program
- GP practices and other suitable health services
- Canberra Hospital Pain Management Unit
- Hepatitis Resource Centre
- Canberra Liver Clinic
- ACT Dental Health Services
Quick Facts About The Region
Contact Directions - Althea Wellness Centre
Wheelchair Access Yes
Disabled access Lift, Toilets
Referral Required Self Referral
Accessible By Anyone
Access Fee No fee
Age Ranges All ages
Languages Interpreter services available
Clients must have alcohol and/or other drug issues
Alcohol Addiction, Drug Addiction, Drug and Alcohol Counselling