General Religion & Philosophy
St Matthew’s – The Church in the Park
St Matthew’s Anglican Church continues to be an active and growing parish that also supports local indigenous people, reaches out to the aged, lonely, sick, refugees and others in need in the wider community.
St Matthew’s is the third Anglican church of this name in Guildford, and the second on this site. The previous church was opened with a consecration service on the 21 September 1860 and destroyed by a hurricane in 1872.
Through active community fund raising, the third St Matthew’s was officially opened 9 June 1873 and consecrated in October that year. Remarkably, the church has altered little in form since this time.
The Parish Hall was designed by Forbes and Hobbs under the supervision of noted military figure and architect Sir J.J. Talbot Hobbs. It was completed and opened with a service on 9 December 1909 and has hosted choirs, festivals, Boy Scouts, Army Reserve training and today is used by Indigenous groups, playgroups and the community.
The church has significant military history, being the Garrison Church for the 10th Light Horse and Royal Australian Artillery during the First World War. It maintains a continuing association with the Artillery, with the annual Gunners’ Day commemoration at the town war memorial on the first Sunday in November, followed by a service in the church.
Whilst we really appreciate our building, we believe that the ‘church’ is the people - people who recognise that we are not perfect, who share a desire to be changed by God and to serve him and the world he created. We welcome people from all walks of life, cultures, circumstances and ages. Our Sunday Church Service is at 9:30AM. Messy Church in the 1st Saturday of the month at 4PM.
Email: [email protected]
Phone: 08 9279 1141
Quick Facts About The Region
Contact St Matthews Anglican Church - Guildford
Similar Providers Nearby
Accessible By Anyone
Access Fee No fee
Age Ranges All ages