Provides support information for people with a hearing loss and conducts weekly hearing loss management classes including lip reading.
BHA CANBERRA AURAL REHABILITATION COURSE.
We offer Aural Rehabilitation to individuals with a hearing loss in a group setting so they can develop lipreading skills and other strategies to manage their own hearing loss.
The educational program is conducted weekly and covers the following:
• How the ear works;
• Communication Strategies;
• Managing difficult listening situations including work related examples;
• Managing your work environment;
• How family and friends can make communication easier;
• Speech Conservation;
• Auditory Training;
• Visual Retention and Perception;
• Hearing aids and how to maintain them;
• Assistive Listening Devices;
• Community resources that can prove useful e.g. captioned movies and plays;
• Introduction to common hearing disorders such as Tinnitus, Meniere’s and Acoustic Neuroma;
• Members will also participate in discussion, hear visiting speakers and have access to the Library.
Experience suggests that there is really no fixed period for rehabilitation. Depending on the individual circumstances, rehabilitation will generally be valuable and required for a period of two to four years. Many people also find great benefit in being in the company of others with a common disability and, with the support and assistance from the group, elect to attend for longer periods. This aural rehabilitation program reduces stress, social isolation and improves self-confidence and may reduce the incidence of other medical conditions associated with hearing loss.
The annual costs of the program are membership $40 and 4 terms of sessions @ $20 per term or a total of $120 each year. Please phone the number listed to confirm costs.
Quick Facts About The Region
Contact BETTER HEARING AUSTRALIA CANBERRA INCORPORATED
Similar Providers Nearby
Disabled access Parking, Ramps, Toilets, Lifts
Referral Required Self Referral
Accessible By Anyone
Access Fee Contact us for details
Age Ranges All ages
Hearing Aids, Hearing impairment, Physical disability